Let’s face it, most water filters on the market today are not eco-friendly.
But did you know it’s reported that by 2050 there will be more plastic than fish in the world’s oceans! (source)
Some companies like Soma are making it a mission to stop this from becoming a reality.
Soma makes eco-friendly water filters for anyone who does not enjoy tap water and prefers their water to be filtered.
We believe Soma products can be a perfect fit for anyone looking for a more eco-friendly water filter for their homes!
The Problem With Tap Water
The fact is that our drinking water is increasingly suffering from pollution from the environment.
A lot of fertilizers and pesticides are used in agriculture, the use of medicines is abundant and the fact that more and more people are living on this planet does not mean that our water is constantly getting better.
More and more often you hear that this or that is found in the water.
Even stories in United States like the recent Flint Michigan water ordeal does not give me confidence that the right measure for the safety of our water is being taken seriously!
Unfortunately, microplastics in our drinking water are no longer a fairy tale either!
Facts About Filtered Water Bottles
Here are some bottled water waste facts gathered from https://www.theworldcounts.com/.
- Most of the bottled water you buy is just glorified tap water. There are a few brands whose water really comes from springs and mountain streams, but most are just tap water that’s been purified.
- Only 1 out of 5 plastic bottles are recycled. The rest just becomes litter or get buried somewhere. (1)
- It takes 1 PET plastic bottle 700 years to start decomposing. Bacteria, which usually helps in breaking down organic materials, don’t like petroleum-based plastics. Technically, they can last forever.
- More than 100 million plastic bottles are used worldwide every day! (2)
- 90% of the cost of bottled water is due to the packaging, not water quality. (3)
- 3 liters of water are used to package 1 bottle of water.
- Plastic water bottles are petroleum-based. In the U.S alone, it takes 1.5 million barrels of oil to meet the demands.
- An estimated 1,500 plastic bottles end up as waste in landfills or thrown in the ocean every second.
- There’s an area in the Pacific Ocean the size of Texas – known as The Great Pacific Garbage Patch – which is composed of plastic. (2)
- Plastic is listed as the number one threat to our marine ecosystem.
- The energy used to manufacture bottled water can power 190,000 homes.
- Antimony, which causes dizziness and depression and even death can be found in PET plastic bottles. (4)
- Plastic bottles also contain Bisphenol A which has been linked to obesity, diabetes, and cancer.
- The plastic bottles may be BPA-Free but there are chemicals in the bottles, such as phthalates, can seep into the drink and be harmful to your health.
Benefits Of Using A Water Filter
Firstly, the subject of water filters is a very broad subject.
For the purpose of this article we will stick to what we believe is the best option for eco-friendly water filters for your home or office!
Here are some key advantages of using a water filter.
- Provides very good water quality
- Removes 99.9995% of all bacteria
- Removes pesticides and fine particles from pipes
- Removes chlorine, odors & discoloration
- Removes drug residues and hormones
- Reduces heavy metals, microplastics
- Protects and preserves all valuable minerals
- Very Inexpensive
- Environmentally Friendly
- No lugging bottles to throwing them away.
- Suitable for your home or office
Soma Eco-Friendly Water Company
Soma is a company takes pride in smart design and transparency in their business.
They go a bit further than your average water company and since starting they have adopted four key principles to help the customers and the environment.
- Ending the global water crisis.
- Every purchase of a Soma product, They donate to charity in water projects.
- Green products and green packaging.
- Soma uses post-consumer waste and recyclable materials for their products and packaging.
- Reduce their global impact
- They also offset emissions with conservation-based forestry.
- Responsible supply chain partners.
- Soma’s code of conduct sets standards for labor practices, sustainability, transparency, animal welfare, and anti-discrimination policies.
As a result, you can know you are getting a more environmentally friendly water filter for your home or business.
Soma Eco-Friendly Water Filter Options
Their 6-Cup Glass Carafe
In the video this style is what is being displayed and is a very stylish design that anyone would love to see on your counter.
- Their improved filter reduces chlorine, mercury, copper, and more
- The glass is Shatter-resistant
- Holds 6 glasses (48oz)
- The lid door opens automatically for easy filling
- Glass, cone, and lid are dishwasher-safe
This style can be purchased by clicking here!
Soma does offer two different size picture style.
They have a 6 cup pitcher you can see below.
They also offer a 10 cup pitcher style you can see below
Benefits From Buying Soma Products
Soma is a proud sponsor of charities focused on water and partnering with them to bring safe drinking water to over 663 million people without access to it.
As a result, every Soma product that is purchased they donate to charity water projects.
These contributions go directly to sustainable, community-owned water projects in developing countries that are in desperate need of water.
Are Filters Biodegradable or Compostable?
The downside is that most water filters are not biodegradable or compostable at this time you have to get replacement filters.
Replacement filters for Soma can be found by clicking here!
This is due to the presence of ion exchange resin, which is used to help reduce heavy metals such as mercury and copper.
The company has stated they are working on a option that would make biodegradable or compostable filters an option.
In the meantime, they recommend reusing your filter in creative ways.
Here is one way they can be reused!
Make them into flower pots!
Recommend Reusable Coffee Filters
I know if you are like me a life without coffee is just no life to live!
But did you know that in 2014 alone it was estimated that “9 billion Keurig K-Cups likely ended up in landfills”? (source)
With these style coffee makers becoming more and more popular since then we can only image how many of these filters have ended up in landfills.
A more eco-friendly option instead of using the throw away one-time-use coffee pods is to use reusable filters.
These can be used thousands of times without being thrown away and you can even use a biodegradable paper coffee filters with them.
Save even more from ending up in the landfill by purchasing these here!
Simple & Easy
This solution is a great eco-friendly filter solution if you love coffee and want to help the environment even more.
A Favorable Mention
Another favorable mention in this category for environmentally friendly water filters is the Clear Genius water pitcher filtration system.
This system is another great option for people trying to cut back plastic from going into landfills.
With this system you can simply keep the cartridge and replace the filter pod.
Clear Genius filters up to 6-cups. Filtering out
- Chlorine (Taste and odor),
- Zinc (Metallic taste)
The kit comes with
- 1 Clear Genius Water Pitcher
- 1 Clear Genius Reusable Cartridge
- 1 Filter Pod that filters 40 gallons of water
- Certified by the Water Quality Association
- Made with BPA-free materials.
If you are looking for a more eco-friendly water filter you can not go wrong with the products we outlined above.
They are all very inexpensive options that will give you great tasting purified water in your home or office.
Sometimes the simplest of things like using eco-friendly water filters can make a huge difference in becoming more eco-friendly.
If you want some other options on ways of cutting down your carbon footprint check out our other article on eco-friendly furniture!
There is a new type of nail polish on the scene. This one promises to be kid-friendly and non-toxic. It is even edible if you can believe it. These new nail polishes are popping up all...
As concerns have grown about climate change, so has buzzed around the so-called zero-waste lifestyle. While the benefits of this lifestyle may seem enticing it is not easy. Reducing the island...